Helping a teething baby sleep better at night can be challenging, but here are some tips to provide relief and promote a more restful night for both you and your baby:
1. Gentle Gum Massage: Gently rub your clean finger or a moistened gauze pad over your baby’s gums to provide relief from teething discomfort. The gentle pressure can help alleviate some of the soreness.
2. Chilled Teething Toys or Teethers: Give your baby a teething toy or teether that has been chilled in the refrigerator (not frozen). The cool temperature can help numb the gums and provide relief. Always ensure the teething toy is safe and designed specifically for babies.
3. Cold Washcloth: Dampen a clean washcloth and place it in the refrigerator for a short while. Once chilled, give it to your baby to chew on. The cold and textured surface can provide soothing relief for their gums.
4. Pain Relief Medication: Consult with your paediatrician about using over-the-counter pain relief medications specifically formulated for babies. These medications can help alleviate teething discomfort and promote better sleep. Follow the recommended dosage instructions and use them only as directed by your doctor.
5. Bedtime Rituals: Establish a calming bedtime routine that includes activities like a warm bath, gentle massage, or quiet playtime. These rituals can help relax your baby and prepare them for sleep, reducing any discomfort caused by teething.
6. Elevated Head Position: Elevating your baby’s head slightly during sleep can help alleviate discomfort caused by teething. You can achieve this by using a rolled-up towel or a wedge-shaped pillow under the crib mattress. However, always ensure your baby’s sleeping environment remains safe and free from any suffocation hazards.
7. Comforting Cuddles: Provide extra snuggles and comforting cuddles during teething periods. The soothing presence of a caregiver can help your baby feel secure and relaxed, promoting better sleep. Love is never too much!
8. Calming Music or White Noise: Playing soft, soothing music or white noise in the background can create a relaxing ambience that helps your baby drift off to sleep. Gentle lullabies or nature sounds can be particularly calming. Baby massage is effective as well if you want to spoil your little one! Just remember to use safe oil such as organic almond or olive.
Remember, every baby is unique, so it may take some trial and error to find the most effective soothing techniques for your teething baby.